Concordia University St. Paul, MN

Reasons to Attend Concordia University St. Paul

Convenient/Accelerated Format

Earning one’s master’s degree is a powerful tool in strengthening one’s knowledge and view of the world. It is also often a way to advance one’s position or salary. However, time and money are typically two reasons that hold people back from pursuing a master’s degree.

Concordia University St. Paul offers a convenient, accelerated master’s degree program.  When I was looking for programs to attend to pursue my master’s degree, St. Paul checked off all of my boxes.

First, I was able to attend class and do my work 100% online from my own home. That was really important for me as I did not want a long commute; this saved me an infinite amount of time as well as money. Secondly, Concordia University St. Paul’s online format fit my busy lifestyle. I took only one class at a time for seven weeks. Once a week for one hour, there was an online meeting. Although I had to reorganize my time and priorities, the classwork was relevant and manageable. The schedule also had built in breaks for holidays and summer.

Concordia University St. Paul was also affordable. There were many payment options that made taking the classes feasible. But most importantly, I had a lot of questions as I embarked on this journey, and the staff were so kind and timely in answering my questions. I truly felt like they cared, and they did not even know me yet. As a busy, working educator, I knew Concordia University St. Paul’s convenient, online, accelerated format was the right option for me!

Dedicated, Supportive Professors and Staff

It is often said that teaching is both an art and a science. Educators must not only know their subject matter, but also deliver it in a way in which students want to learn it. I cannot say enough positive things about the professors and staff that I worked with in my master’s program. Concordia University, St. Paul has top-notch professionals on their teaching staff that whole-heartedly embrace Concordia’s mission to prepare students for thoughtful and informed living, for dedicated service to God and humanity, and for the enlightened care of God’s creation.

Every professor that I worked with was knowledgeable in their subject area, facilitated interesting and thought-provoking classes, and were professional, yet kind and caring. One thing that I especially appreciated was how they encouraged collaboration between students in the cohort. Growing up and now living in a rural area, I have always been a “small town” person, but I was fortunate to be in a cohort with people from different cultures, different positions, and even different states. It was enlightening to talk to these other educators and be able to learn from each other.

Another thing that I valued, was the way in which the professors communicated. Whether it was verbally during our scheduled class time, through email, or during a special meeting, I always felt respected, answered, and listened to. Their feedback was both timely and thorough, and they pushed me to always think deeper and differently. They made subjects that worried me into classes that I could not wait to attend! I could tell from the very beginning that they wanted me to succeed and that they would help me do just that. I now consider them to be valuable assets in my professional network.

Relevant Curriculum

Rigorous and relevant are words that are often used to describe an educational system’s curriculum.  As educators, we strive to find or create material that not only interests students, but also challenges them to think creatively in order to solve complex real-world problems. Concordia University St. Paul’s curriculum is both rigorous and relevant and deeply rooted in theory and practice.

At the beginning of each course, the syllabus completely laid out assignments, requirements, rubrics, and expectations. The learning objectives were clearly defined; there were no surprises. When students know what their learning goals and expectations are, they are more likely to be able to succeed.

Throughout my classes, I was consistently asked to use my higher order thinking skills. I was challenged to think critically, synthesize information, and analyze text to create meaning. The texts that I was assigned to read pushed me to think beyond myself and to develop a comprehensive understanding of the concepts being presented. Projects that I was assigned were authentic tasks, which made my learning deeper and more meaningful.

The curriculum also enabled me the opportunity to collaborate with my peers as we worked together to create presentations, solve problems, and discuss a variety of topics.  These types of learning opportunities strengthened my active listening skills and enabled me to see viewpoints other than my own.

When pursuing a master’s program, I found many colleges that offered an online, accelerated program, however, only Concordia University St. Paul was highly recommended by my peers with a reputation for credibility and promise: it is a name that you can trust!