Program Highlights & Benefits
3.5 year completion time, including holiday breaks
Finish one course every eight weeks
No weekend classes
- Candidates interested in becoming effective and ethical leaders for schools and organizations who can make significant contributions to their fields of knowledge through applied research.
- Candidates who are interested in becoming eligible for a Principal K-12 certificate must have at least three years of professional school experience.
- Candidates who are interested in becoming eligible for Superintendent’s Letter of Eligibility must hold a Principal certification and provide evidence of six years of instructional, educational specialist and supervisory and administrative service of which at least three of the six years must have been in a supervisory or administrative capacity.
- Candidates who are interested in becoming eligible for a Curriculum & Instruction certificate must hold a valid Pennsylvania teaching license.
What You Learn
Goals of the Doctor of Educational in Educational and Organizational Leadership:
- To provide a research-based education program that facilitates the development of innovative and ethical school and community leaders.
- To offer a program that is flexible and is designed for working practitioners allowing them to expand their practice and leadership skills through concentrated interdisciplinary coursework and research.
Students will select one of the four concentrations:
- Organizational Leadership
- School Leadership and Administration: PA Principal Certification
- School Leadership and Administration: PA Superintendent Letter
- Curriculum & Instruction: PA Supervisor C&I PK-12
How You Learn
This is a fully online cohort. Face-to-face class meetings are not required. You will log into the online classroom using our online learning management system to participate in online activities which may include assignments, webinars or chats, materials, discussion threads, assessments and/or group activities completed electronically. To enhance your learning experience, optional synchronized learning sessions will be available to you for some courses.
- School Leadership and Administration: PA Principal Certification – Prepares teachers and other school personnel to obtain Pennsylvania certification to serve as a public school principal (PreK-12th grade).
- School Leadership and Administration: PA Superintendent Letter – Prepares school administrators to obtain Pennsylvania certification to serve as a public school district superintendent.
- Curriculum & Instruction: PA Supervisor C&I PK-12 – Prepares teachers and other school personnel to provide leadership in school curriculum models and instructional practices. Individuals may also apply for Pennsylvania certification to serve as a supervisor of curriculum and instruction (PreK-12th grade) in a public school district (pending approval by the Pennsylvania Department of Education).
- Organizational Leadership – Offers a business perspective on organizational leadership and prepares individuals to lead a wide variety of non-profit, for-profit, and community organizations.
Graduates of the program will possess skills and knowledge to function as effective leaders in a wide variety of education-related fields. Those who complete the principal or superintendent certification option will be prepared to pursue administrative positions in Pennsylvania K-12 schools. In addition, graduates of the program may pursue leadership opportunities in fields such as higher education, non-profit community organizations, and educational publishing and consulting.
Note: This is only an introduction to the program. Coursework may occur in a different order.
Students who follow the course sequence will finish the program in three years and one semester. This timeline includes completing the dissertation, for which a high degree of structure and guidance will be provided. Students develop their dissertation research projects by selecting one of the following general topic areas: (a) Language and Literacy, (b) Disabilities, and (c) Program Evaluation