Master's of Education (M.Ed.) with Initial/Alternative Teaching Certification


The Master of Arts in Education degree with initial teaching certification is for individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree with content courses in a certifiable major who wish to become a teacher. The subject area(s) in which you are eligible for certification will depend on the previous coursework you have completed as a part of your bachelor’s degree.

What You Learn:

The Master of Arts in Education provides initial teaching certification at the middle or high school levels in Biological Science, Chemistry, Physics, English, Mathematics, and Social Studies. Certification for teaching at all grade levels is offered in Art, French, German, Spanish, and Instrumental or Vocal Music. The program is available to individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree with a major in one of the above-listed or closely related areas. A major verification must be completed to determine eligibility for this program.

Program Options:

Students may choose from two tracks: Traditional Initial Certification - Choose from a wide range of certification areas, building on your personal interests and educational background; Alternative Initial Certification - Due to a lack of certified teachers in specific areas, some schools are willing to hire candidates who have a bachelor’s degree in the high-need content area and are enrolled in an alternative certification program under a temporary provisional certificate.

How You Learn:

This is a fully online cohort. You will log into the online classroom using our online learning management system to participate in online activities which may include assignments, webinars or chats, materials, discussion threads, assessments and/or group activities done electronically. You will finish one course every 7 and a half weeks. Following this schedule, you will complete the program in approximately 2 1/2 years.

Career Outcomes:

Upon completion of this program students will have earned a Master of Arts in Education degree and initial teaching certification in the chosen certifiable subject area. A passing score on the appropriate Praxis exam(s) will be required to earn your initial teaching certification.

Degree Requirements:

Course Title Hours
EDU 506 History and Philosophy of Education 3
EDU 565 Human Development, Behavior, and Learning 3
EDU 532 Effective Classroom Instruction for Middle and Secondary Students 6
ECE 502 Introduction to Special Education 3
EDU 529 Teaching in a Diverse Society 3
EDU 542 Classroom Applications of Technology 3
EDU 602 Reading, Writing, and Thinking: Promoting Comprehension and Engagement through Effective Literacy Practices 3
EDU 626 Developing Teacher Leadership through Research/Implementation of Capstone Research Project 3

Field Experience for Alternative Track (Temporary-Provisionally Certified Teachers)

Course Title Hours
EDU 535 Mentored / Student Teaching for MA Certification 6
EDU 536 Mentored / Student Teaching for MA Certification 6
EDU 623 Field Mentoring Plan (as needed) 1
  Total for Alternative Track (Provisionally Certified Teachers): 42-43

Field Experience for Traditional Track (No Previous Certification)

Course Title Hours
EDU 535 Mentored / Student Teaching for MA Certification 6
EDU 536 Mentored / Student Teaching for MA Certification 6
EDU 622 Field Experience in Middle and Secondary Schools (as needed) 1
  Total for Traditional Track (No Previous Certification): 42-43

NOTEThis is only an introduction to the program. Coursework may be taken in a different order.

Students are required to meet all admission criteria (including passing the Core Academic Skills for Educators or Graduate Record Exam and meeting the minimum GPA requirement of 2.75 GPA (3.0 on last 30 hours of coursework), in order to be fully admitted to the program. In order to be considered for an alternative-certification position, you must meet all admissions criteria before you may interview for a position.

The state requires 200 hours of pre-clinical field hours and a full-time, 15 week student teaching experience, which must be completed while not being in a paid position. This does not apply if you are in an alternative certification status.